Since apparently this is the week of "revelations you could have done without", I wanted to spend today's blog talking about how much I love going to the bathroom when I'm at work. I really do, honestly. Before you all start asking, no, I was not potty-trained at an abnormally early age, and I also never had any Freudian issues with going to the bathroom either. Going to the bathroom at work for me just equals peace, serenity, and warmth.
Now I do need clarify what I'm talking about when I say "bathroom". On our campus we have two types of bathrooms, one mainly for students, and one mostly used by faculty. The student bathrooms are the quintessential American public bathrooms with stalls. For those Dutch readers who have never laid eyes on this creature, allow me to enlighten you.
A typical American bathroom has, like any European bathroom, anywhere between four and ten toilets. But unlike its European counterparts, where each toilet is in its separate room with walls that go all the way from the ceiling to the ground, American toilets are separated by thin metal walls that start about two feet off the ground and end a little ways above your head. Each individual stall comes with a rickety door that never closes just right, leaving a tiny little gap through which all bathroom users could technically keep an eye on the goings-on on the other side of the wall. Although, rest assured, most Americans are far too polite to do so. However, what this does translate to is that everyone in the bathroom can hear what you're up to, and admire your shoes and socks while you're doing it. They can hear what you're doing, how long it's taking you, and how much toilet paper you're using. Now call me overly critical, but for a country that freaks out when little six-year old girls don't wear a bikini top at the pool, or that finds discussions about armpit hair completely inappropriate, this seems really, well, odd. We don't talk about leg hair, and we dress our little girls like they're four going on eighteen, but it's really OK to hear whether other people or not remembered to eat their prunes the night before? Let the record state that I'm not a prude, but I do struggle with that contradiction just a hair.
Admittedly, when I'm in a bathroom full of strangers, I don't really care all that much. I don't know them and won't ever see them again. But when I'm at work, I find it very disturbing to have a student recognize my shoes and holler out "Hi Doc!" while I'm, well, doing my business. And actually, just the thought that students can hear me freaks me out beyond belief.
So I've taken up the habit of walking a little bit further and using the faculty bathroom instead. This is a set of bathrooms which are their own separate rooms. Each bathroom has its own toilet, sink, and little table with fake floral setting. And let me tell you, I like going there. In fact, just thinking about having to make the considerable trek to that bathroom makes me happy. So as I was enjoying myself the other day, I asked myself why? I mean, for God's sake, why do I like going to the bathroom?
And thankfully for you, dear reader, and my own peace of mind, I figured it out. It's because it's the only place I can go where I am left alone. There are no students waiting outside my door. No computer with its annoying pop-ups to constantly remind me that people want to get in touch with me. No phone. Nothing. It's quiet. And even better, as these bathrooms are a few hallways down from our department and its arctic climate, the temperature is actually really nice too. And what a better way to spend a few minutes, than in a quiet, serene, and warm little room you have all to yourself? All I would need is a book and I would never leave.
So if you lead a crazy life, just find a bathroom and take a break. It works miracles.
7 comments:
So are you saying you Europeans would peak through those annoying cracks between stalls? I hate public restrooms! Blah. I had a phobia of using them until I had kids. My favorite is when you find a bathroom that matches the European style. You would think that as private as we are we would have fixed this issue by now.
Okay, so if Steve can't find you in your office, he now knows where to go looking ;-)
And yes, I admit to being the kind of European who would peek through the cracks if they were there.
(I'll spare you my most horrible bathroom experience)
Haha, nice peace and quiet that way, I believe. It worked for me too at the hospital, except they are not as fancy with flowers and all. Until they gave us portable phone, and it never failed: it always rang when you're in the bathroom.
Two words: portable phone, solitaire (okay, three words)
And don't get _me_ started on locker rooms! I'm not a prude either but I never understood that part. I mean it is inapropriate for children to see there mom, dad or sibling naked but no one seem to have a problem to get bud naked in the company of complete strangers and shower collectively. While in the privacy of your own home it is totally not done to shower with you children. This really baffles me.
When we lived in Holland and my daughter was the young one we often showered together after a swim or a day at the beach. We often would walk naked from the shower to our rooms, it never occured to me that other parents woul not do that until I moved here.
And while were at it ..... don't get me started on the French toilets either! I mean why do French women put up with _that_!?!
I always wonder about that. Who came up with the idea to make public bathrooms so uncomfortable? Why is that?
I am all for Japanese style bathrooms (and toilets), where it's always clean, with normal doors, and noise masking sound devices.
En zo zit je op je werk, en zijn er tien minuten voorbij omdat je heel veel Dixiechick logjes moest bijlezen...
Dit bathroom logje is overigens een duidelijk geval van iets dat ik ook had kunnen schrijven. Als je geen onderwerp weet om over te loggen zijn dit altijd de beste. :-)
En ik moest trouwens ook erg lachen om het logje over schrijven in het Nederlands en het Engels. Ik twijfel regelmatig over overstappen naar bloggen in het Engels, but it just wouldn't be the same...
Post a Comment